Gnome Attack Book
HOW TO SURVIVE A GARDEN GNOME ATTACK (Ten Speed Press / Random House, Sept. 2010) is a survival guide that will save not only your life, but the lives of your children and loved ones. Congratulations on taking this important step toward safety and a gnome-free life. (Buy it here on Amazon!) In 2009 alone, there were 987 attacks recorded by the Gnome Attacks Hotline based out of Berlin, Germany. Don’t bother asking your local authorities about these attack–they can’t corral the data like we can. The fact is that if the public knew about how many gnomeowners are mauled and attacked each year by their own statues, the public would erupt into mass chaos. The website all about this book is www.gnomeattack.com.
How to Survive a Garden Gnome Attack is a humor book (satire), released in fall 2010 and has been featured by such media outlets as Reader’s Digest, USA Today, The New York Times, Variety, The Hollywood Reporter, and AOL News. The book has been translated into Italian and Japanese.
Upon the book’s release, it was in the top 10 humor books in the country sales-wise, alongside two Chelsea Handler books as well as titles by Tucker Max, Max Brooks, Seth Grahame-Smith and the Harvard Lampoon.
The Film Adaptation (Sony Pictures)
In summer 2011, Sony Pictures Animation as well as director Robert Zemeckis (Back to the Future, Forrest Gump, Cast Away) optioned the film rights to the book. This news was covered by places like Variety, IMDB, Comingsoon.net, The Hollywood Reporter, and many more. As of early 2012, the adaptation process continues forward.
Gnome News, Interviews, & Coverage:
- Coverage in Reader’s Digest (Sept. 2010)
- AOL News Feature (Sept. 2010)
- Newsday.com mention (Sept. 2010)
- This Garden is Illegal interview (Sept. 2010)
- Barnes & Noble Book Club interview (Oct. 2010)
- Feature on Dave’s Garden (Oct. 2010)
- Feature for Garden Variety (Oct. 2010)
- Interview with Mr. MacGregor’s Daughter (Oct. 2010)
- The Herb Companion coverage (Nov. 2010)
- Red Dirt Ramblings online gifts article (Dec. 2010)
- Psychology Today online mention (Dec. 2010)
- Listed on The Casual Gardener’s cheap holiday gift list (Dec. 2010)
- “Geek Book Gift Guide” by Beforeitsnews.com (Dec. 2010)
- Denver Post mention (Dec. 2010)
- USA Today coverage (Feb. 2011)
- Gnomes mention in The Daily Telegraph (Feb. 2011)
- Fangoria coverage (March 2011)
- The New York Times Book Review coverage (March 2011)
- Variety‘s early coverage of Sony & Zemeckis (April 2011)
- Hollywood Reporter’s coverage of the movie option (April 2011)
- SlashFilm’s notice of the movie option (April 2011)
- IMDB’s news story about Sony & Zemeckis (April 2011)
- Total Film’s coverage of the movie option (April 2011)
- Comingsoon.com’s story about Sony & Zemeckis (April 2011)
- MTV News Interview with me (April 2011)
- GNOMES mention on GardenRant.com (May 2011)
- ScreenRant’s original news brief of GNOMES getting screenwriters attached.
- The Film Stage on the news of GNOMES getting screenwriters attached.
- Get the Big Picture on the news of GNOMES getting screenwriters attached.
More info to come soon…
The Story of How GNOME ATTACK Came to Be
I chronicled my entire publishing journey on my work blog, the Guide to Literary Agents Blog. In these posts, you can see how foreign rights are sold, how film rights are sold, how publicity works, how I got my agent, how we shopped the book to publishers, how editing works, how your book is shipped, why certain stores give it prominent placement, how sales works, and much more.